Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
Feeding America is the nation’s second largest charity and the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the United States. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. Learn more about Feeding America here.
This position is based out of Feeding America’s new office location in the heart of downtown Chicago. At Feeding America, we believe in offering a flexible work environment. Employees can be in the office an average of 2-3 days a week (when not travelling for work) and work from home on other days. Employees also have access to a 30-day “work anywhere” program during the course of each calendar year that can be combined with PTO and/or holidays.
Lead Feeding America National Office's (FANO) design, development, execution and optimization across digital marketing and digital media strategies, channels, content and digital experiences to connect neighbors to food and resources they say they need to thrive. Support organizational vision, mission, strategic priorities and imperative, and fundraising. Serve as a member of the department leadership team, contribute to the team and organizational culture, model collaboration and teamwork, and demonstrate a personal commitment to and accountability for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Salary Range: $138,000 - $175,000 + Based on Experience
- Translate Feeding America's vision, mission, and strategic framework, and our department mission and strategic priorities into a plan to use digital marketing, digital advertising, and digital experiences to advance equitable access to food and resources.
- Lead and develop a team of digital marketers to maintain a healthy, high-performing culture, and direct the efforts of team members to ensure team structure aligns with our organizational and departmental objectives.
- Inspire and coach team members to explore, identify, test, learn, and implement new strategies and tactics, emerging channels, and techniques for using digital marketing and advertising to reach and engage across audiences, measure, and gain insight from that engagement.
- Provide oversight of existing digital marketing and advertising channels (web, mobile, email, social media, digital paid media, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), third party platforms, and peer-to-peer programs), foster collaboration and ensure resource allocation and support for fundraising.
- Leverage digital marketing, advertising, and experiences to reach multiple audiences (neighbors, public, supporters, partners, policymakers) to raise issue awareness, shift perception, elevate neighbors' voices, and engage others in the fight to end hunger.
- As needed, serve as an advisor of digital marketing practices across Feeding America’s network of member food banks, working in close partnership with teams in the Marketing and Digital Experience department and Network department.
- Work with Chief Marketing and Digital Experience Officer (CMXO), teams in Marketing and Digital Experience, Communications and Community Engagement, Government Relations, and Equity, to build, advance, and operationalize digital strategies, tactics, and programs that catalyze a movement and elevate the public sector role.
- Work with CMXO, teams in Marketing and Digital Experience, Innovation, Research, and Technology to contribute to the design, development, and optimization of digital experiences across personas, with an insight-driven understanding of need states and journeys.
- Contribute to the development of a proposed annual expense budget for digital marketing, commensurate with the objectives, measures and activities of the Marketing and Digital Experience department and oversee expense management within the Digital Marketing team.
- Collaborate within the Marketing and Digital Experience department and across departments, including Finance and Strategic Planning, to establish and evolve measures of impact of digital marketing on the advancement of Feeding America's mission.
- Build and manage relationships with marketing, advertising and fundraising agencies and partners for strategic collaboration, operational effectiveness and efficiency, and cost and resource management, including contributing to efforts to right-size our partnerships and portfolio of partners.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and/or project manager on donor-funded initiatives/projects, ensuring that key deliverables, budget, timelines and action steps are clearly understood and met in order to meet the expectations of the donor(s) and comply with grant agreement terms.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- 15 years of experience in cause marketing, digital marketing, digital media, and/or, customer experience or user experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Experience planning, executing, targeting, measuring, optimizing, and reporting results of integrated, digital marketing and digital public engagement campaigns
- Financial and business acumen around setting and managing budgets, strategic planning, and campaign and/or program management
- Prior experience building and leading a diverse team of digital marketing professionals and managing relationships across a portfolio of agencies and partners
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies:
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Creates a portfolio of projects that drives execution of the organizational strategy and operating goals and addresses long-term challenges/opportunities. Defines aggressive but achievable SMART goals that effectively balance short-term results with long-term success. Cascades strategies and goals so all team members clearly understand how their work affects organizational outcomes.
- Fosters Innovation and Continuous Improvement: Ensures that systems and processes are in place to identify new ideas, scan for best practices, share learnings, and drive continuous improvement. Evaluates trends in best-in-class organizations and assesses organizational processes to pursue opportunities for improvement. Mobilizes people across the organization to seek and use innovative internal and external ideas in support of achieving our strategic goals. Contributes to organizational learning by recognizing successful innovations and sharing insights from unsuccessful experimental efforts.
- Drives Change: Displays personal commitment and ownership of organization-wide initiatives and champions their value. Challenges underlying assumptions behind current policies and practices to identify opportunities for positive changes. Uses a disciplined approach to plan, implement, and manage change, including addressing issues at individual, team, and organization-wide levels. Manages resistance to change efforts by continually seeking input from, sharing information with, and engaging stakeholders. Orchestrates dialogue and productive conflict across the organization to shepherd people effectively through the change process.
- Communicates Effectively: Fosters an atmosphere of openness and approachability by people of all levels and backgrounds. Adapts communication as needed for a broad range of audiences including staff, network food bank members, donors, and other key groups. Makes a practice of listening to enable constructive conversations. Observes group dynamics and checks for understanding. Shares difficult messages directly and tactfully.
Feeding America recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce where all employees feel a sense of belonging and contribute to a culture that values differences, ideas, and experiences. We intentionally seek out diverse perspectives and skills on our teams, knowing that it makes us stronger as an organization and better equipped to serve our neighbors in need. We encourage individuals from historically under-represented communities and individuals with lived experience of hunger to apply.