Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
Feeding America is the nation’s second largest charity and the leading domestic hunger-relief charity in the United States. Our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. Learn more about Feeding America here.
This position is based out of Feeding America’s new office location in the heart of downtown Chicago. At Feeding America, we believe in offering a flexible work environment. Employees can be in the office an average of 2-3 days a week (when not travelling for work) and work from home on other days. Employees also have access to a 30-day “work anywhere” program during the course of each calendar year that can be combined with PTO and/or holidays.
Lead Feeding America National Office's (FANO) efforts to use marketing and advertising to achieve a $100M Marketing team fundraising goal and contribute, in partnership with the Development team, to our total fundraising revenue, as well as acquire, cultivate, diversify, and retain individual donors, including leading the team to strategically identify, target, engage, and nurture donors willing to support Feeding America's mission in a variety of ways (e.g., donations, advocacy). Serve as a member of the department leadership team, contribute to the team and organizational culture, model collaboration and teamwork, and demonstrate a personal commitment to and accountability for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Salary Range: $138,000 - $175,000 + Based on Experience
- Advance transformation from donor-centric to community-centric, including developing a vision for identifying and engaging donors as supporters of Feeding America's mission in other way (e.g., advocacy).
- Collaborate with Chief Marketing and Digital Experience Officer (CMXO), Direct Marketing, Finance and Development teams and use a variety of inputs (e.g., forecasting, segmentation, benchmarking) to set our annual fundraising revenue target.
- Work with direct marketing and digital marketing teams to evolve Feeding America's fundraising strategy and plan to meet its revenue target, while taking a more integrated, multichannel approach.
- Lead team to uncover revenue potential from expanding and stewarding key donor segments, across online and offline donors, as well as understanding the potential of omnichannel donors.
- Lead the development of an annual fundraising expense budget, including scenario planning against variables impacting expenses and/or unrestricted revenue generation, and lead reforecasting, as needed.
- Lead the team and external partners to plan, execute, measure, and optimize performance marketing and advertising campaigns, to achieve our annual revenue goal and support strategic priorities and imperatives.
- Manage and develop a team to maintain a healthy, high-performing culture, and direct the efforts of team members to ensure team structure aligns with the mission and strategic priorities of Feeding America.
- Coach team to optimize spend across marketing and advertising channels (mail, email, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), paid media, web, third party, peer-to-peer), tactics, and revenue channels to maximize return on investment, cost per dollar raised (CPDR) and donor lifetime value (DLTV).
- Work closely with Digital Marketing, Brand and Content, Strategic Planning, Marketing Technology, and Philanthropic Operations teams to prioritize key initiatives, allocate shared resources and align timing across the department.
- Oversee relationships with agencies and partners supporting our direct marketing and fundraising to enhance strategic collaboration, operational effectiveness and efficiency, and resource management.
- Encourage innovation by taking appropriate risks and coaching team members and partners to test and learn, and where appropriate, embrace and scale new techniques and tactics to deliver growth.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and/or project manager on donor-funded initiatives/projects, ensuring that key deliverables, budget, timelines and action steps are clearly understood and met in order to meet the expectations of the donor(s) and comply with grant agreement terms.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in non-profit fundraising, direct or performance marketing and/or digital commerce or e-commerce marketing with increasing revenue responsibility
- Deep knowledge of lead generation channels and tactics and revenue channels including direct response (DR), digital giving, and peer to peer fundraising
- Experience forecasting revenue and expenses, budgeting and managing $20M+ budget, including knowledge of best practices in campaign performance measurement and reporting
- Skilled in communicating ideas and views to audiences at all levels, from Board and Executive level communication to communication with partners and team members across departments
- Experience leading a diverse team of marketing, advertising, and fundraising professionals and managing relationships across a portfolio of marketing and advertising agencies and partners
- Experience planning, executing, measuring, and optimizing multichannel marketing campaigns and leveraging data-driven campaign targeting across a diverse and complex audience or audiences
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience volunteering, consulting, or working professionally for a non-profit organization
- Experience working within a federated network and/or matrixed organization
- Knowledge of experience testing and implementing direct response TV and connected TV
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies:
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Creates a portfolio of projects that drives execution of the organizational strategy and operating goals and addresses long-term challenges/opportunities. Defines aggressive but achievable SMART goals that effectively balance short-term results with long-term success. Cascades strategies and goals so all team members clearly understand how their work affects organizational outcomes.
- Fosters Innovation and Continuous Improvement: Ensures that systems and processes are in place to identify new ideas, scan for best practices, share learnings, and drive continuous improvement. Evaluates trends in best-in-class organizations and assesses organizational processes to pursue opportunities for improvement. Mobilizes people across the organization to seek and use innovative internal and external ideas in support of achieving our strategic goals. Contributes to organizational learning by recognizing successful innovations and sharing insights from unsuccessful experimental efforts.
- Establishes Vision and Crafts Strategy: Creates function/department strategy and goals that are aligned with organization-wide goals and those of other functions/departments. Identifies and anticipates industry, political and environmental trends likely to affect operations and proposes appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Collaborates Internally and Externally: Promotes an integrated, collaborative approach to solving challenges by reaching out to and engaging people from other departments, across the Network, and with external partners. Acts as a sounding-board resource for others and reaches out to colleagues to provide support. Looks beyond own area to make sure the right person or resource is involved in discussions. De-escalates and depersonalizes conflict to find common ground and focus conversations on our shared mission and the people we serve. Rejects others’ finger-pointing and preserves others’ reputations while addressing concerns.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively: Creates a culture of accountability by communicating and holding self and others to high performance standards, ensuring efficient use of organization and department resources, and delivering against agreed-upon goals. Reinforces a systems perspective to diagnose organizational issues and improve processes and outcomes. Engages representatives of those who need to execute plans in the creation of feasible approaches to implementing them. Monitors strategic progress and provides transparent feedback to all levels of the organization. Uses performance management processes effectively and provides helpful feedback to others. Empowers those closest to a situation to make and own decisions and supports them even when decisions are not perfectly aligned to own preferences.
Feeding America recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce where all employees feel a sense of belonging and contribute to a culture that values differences, ideas, and experiences. We intentionally seek out diverse perspectives and skills on our teams, knowing that it makes us stronger as an organization and better equipped to serve our neighbors in need. We encourage individuals from historically under-represented communities and individuals with lived experience of hunger to apply.